Thursday, November 12, 2009

American Philosophical Association

After several years of ambivalance, I decided this year to not renew my dues to the APA. I'm not on the job market, I don't plan to go any APA meetings, and it provides no other useful services for me. As a department chair, I could do with plenty of help on the creation of outcomes assessment for philosophy courses, but so far as I can tell, the APA has done nothing useful on this front. I prefer to spend my money on other things.

Nevertheless, it makes me feel a little further removed from the mainstream of philosophy. I imagine I'll return to the fold in a few years.

1 comment:

Rookie said...

Same here. I immediately recycle all correspondence I receive from the APA, and this spring didn't even bother voting for the board as I didn't have strong feelings about any of the candidates. (SW)